Monday, May 2, 2016

A sea-bound Sierra

Two years ago I had a dream, a dream in which I had a killer swim suit. 


I wanted something that would keep the ~girls~ contained and cover up my belly, just a bit. 

And I wanted pretty lace~ 

Decided I would use Butterick B4526, since it seemed versatile. 
(spoiler alert, I'm going to use this pattern a lot this month) 


To make the bottoms I used the patten for the one peice, and I traced it on my fabric to the waist line. 



So about where that chopstick is. 

I used a green knit spandex and some white lining fabric for the bottoms. Along with a black WOVEN lace 

What was I thinking...

It still works, it's just hard to get on and off, but my origanal plan for the top would not work at all. 

Sadly I didn't know this until I had already made the top...

I was able to put it on for a photo. 


But it was so tight I couldn't get it on and off without dislocating my shoulders! 

So I abandoned the top and focused my efforts on finishing those bottoms! 

I used chlorine safe black braided elastic from Wallmart for the leg hole elastic 

I basted it down with a zig-zag on my pencils lines, folded it in, and stiched it down proper. 

And for the top Of the bottoms I sewed a chanel and put this fancy silicone elastic through the casing. 



And I tied it in a very secure knot, because puncturing the silicone with a needle would weaken it; and then it might rip. 

Once I had the bottoms constructed I took a minute to admire them, and then I addressed the issue of the missing top. 

Since this isn't France, I was going to need one. And I had waisted so much fabric on the first draft that wouldn't fit. So I decided to scrap together a Seria. 



I actualy had to peice it together with scraps of fabric green spandex, like a stretchy, conservative puzzle. 

Thankfully I had a ton of the black lace. The fabric had previously been a demonic shawl that the Devilette dancers wore in Jesus Christ Superstar.

So I have yards of it laying around, which made peicing the lace easy. 



I used black braided electric to finish all of the edges on this top peice as well. 



 And as far as editing the pattern goes, all I needed to do to turn it into a swimsuit was add about a foot to the wings of the pattern so I could tie it in the back. Rather that having a hook and eye closure. 



I have to say, this swimming suit is a bit more reveling than what I thought I was ready for. But once I put it on for the first time I felt unstoppable! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate