Saturday, February 20, 2016

A Costumers Dream

I'm Everyone who costumes shows wishes that there were some magic outfit that just fit everyone. 

You could use it for a lead in this show, stick it on an extra in this one. Use it for costume parties and tea socials. 

But alas, 
Every person has a body as unique as their personality. 

There is no such thing as one size fits all....or is there? 

I had a stroke of genius while in the shower a month or so ago. 
And that gift from the muses was this self drafted skirt!


And here it is on my fantastic father



It could fit anyone!
and he was the only one home...


This skirt goes from a waist size 34 (or less) to a size 51 1/2!

So here's how I did it. I laid out my fabric and I figured out the smallest circumference I wanted for my skirt. (Which was 34) I divided it by two (17) and divided that by two as well (8.5) 

Then I did what I would for a basic floor length skirt and I drafted three panels with a tapered end. One with the smallest end measuring 17 with seam allowance and two measuring 8.5 with seam allowance. 



Then I grabbed my contrasting fabric and marked off the length I wanted and decided on how much of this fabric to sacrifice. 


Then I drafted four panels with a taper. They provided an extra 4" each on the tapered end. 

Now from here on I forgot to take progress photos. 

I was just so excited!! 

But what I did was sew the four panels of contrasting fabric together to make two tapered panels. These would be the side of the dress. 

Then I stitched the half panels in the floral main fabric together so I had two floral panels matching in size and angle. 

Don't cha just love geometry!

Then I made a little four little straps in the floral fabric to go on the sides of the dress. 


These just blend away, giving the corset detail the spotlight! 


The next time I construct one of these babies in going to make the side panels larger and the main panels smaller. So the corset detail is more noticeable. 

But all in all I think I will get a lot of use out of this skirt!
 And I have enough fabric left over to construct a matching adjustable  top!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate