Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Self Drafting Isn't That Scary!

There are a lot of pantie patterns out there, 
this is due in part to the fact that panties are so easy to draft. 

Drafting is a scary concept to wrap your head around. 
There is a lot that can go wrong. 
But If you want to get into monetizing your sewing, 
self drafting is a necessary skill.

And after a bit of practice it really isn't so hard. 

It all starts with measurements. 


And then there is a bit of math. But it's nothing too hard 

First you take your hip measurement and divide it in half. You can do this evenly, or you can be fancy and place the side seams toward the back by adding more length to the front. 


I decided that I would be fancy. 

The second thing you need to do is account for the stretch in your fabric. I do this by taking my own Measurements and dividing them by the measurements of a pair of my own panties. You will get a decimal which when multiplied by the body measurements  will give you the mesurent of the garment. 


Above is the formula for our butt measurement. 

The next step is to start drafting. 
I like to use old magazine pages that have been taped together as pattern drafting paper. 
But anything will do. 

If you draft your pattern to be cut on fold you will need to divide your width in half. Don't forget to do this please! It's very important... 

It's a little intimidating, but for your first drafting adventure I suggest that you make a simple three peice breif. And I also suggest using a pair of your own panties to figure out the shape of each peice. 


It should look something like this. 

I hope this tutorial made sense. Like I said drafting is easy if you start simple, and there is nothing simpler than a good breif.

It can be plain and lovely



Or lacy and dyed 




Or color blocked, or even lace blocked! 

The possibilities are all but endless! Add frills straps or cutouts, whatever floats your boat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate